I had read a great blog post a while’s back about the author’s method for clothing shopping. It was a budget living blog and her method made a ton of sense to me, which is why I decided to try it out the next “change of seasons” here in NYC.
Essentially all it really entails is cleaning out your closet twice a year. Once for the Fall/Winter season and again for the Spring Summer season. You go through your closet and sort out items you don’t like anymore or are damaged. I went ahead and sorted items as follows:
- Items to sell- I’ve made the decision to get rid of anything that’s leather in my closet to put me on track to my Half-Year Resolution goal. I have a huge variety of leather purses (many of which are designer, like Louis Vuitton), that I’m planning on selling via eBay and craigslist. That should also give me some extra cash to do some fall shopping with. As far as clothes and my leather shoes go, I’m going to bring them to either Beacon’s Closet or Buffalo Exchange. Whatever doesn’t sell will then go in the…
- Items to donate- All these go straight to the Salvation Army.
- Items to have repaired/altered- These are items I still love that maybe have a few rips/tears or might not fit me correctly now due to fluctuations in weight, etc.
While doing this sort through, it’s then easy to take inventory of the items you need for the following season so you can shop accordingly and not get a bunch of duplicate items you may not need. Here’s my wish list based on both Fall/Winter upcoming trends, as well as to replace what I got rid of in the closet sweep:
- Camel Color Winter Coat
Faux Fur Coat- To wear to more formal events w/dresses, etc.Purchased, see this post.
- Sweaters- big chunky ones and lightweight ones to layer
- Thigh High Boots?- debating this one.
- Ankle Booties
- Black Knit Top/Turtleneck
Chambray ShirtPurchased Black Mavi Skinny JeansPurchased
- Fall/Winter Purse Option
- Drapey Tee-Shirts
- Nice Winter PJ’s
- Maxi Skirt
Do you have a method you use to clean out your closet or shop? Or am I the only OCD person out there?